Jojoba oil has become increasingly popular in recent years. For many it has become a part of their daily beauty regime. Most people do this because they are aware fo the two most popular uses for Jojoba oil: hydrating your skin and hair. For most this what they know Jojoba oil is good for. But it’s good for much more! Let’s take a look at a few of the more unknown things about Jojoba oil.
Here are the top 5 things you probably didn’t know about Jojoba oil:
- Best applied to wet hair and skin: Jojoba oil works by creating a barrier between the moisture in your skin and evaporation. This is how the sebum our skin naturally creates functions to protect us from hydration… which leads us to number two.
- Jojoba oil is the closest oil to sebum: Sebaceous Glands secret sebum (a oily/waxy substance) that works to lubricate and waterproof our skin. Jojoba oil is actually a “wax ester”, which means its fatty acids are heavier than those found in vegetable oils. This creates a thicker and stronger defense against evaporation.
Desert Essence Organic Jojoba Oil — 4 fl oz
3. Jojoba Oil can increase hair growth: Well sort of. By applying Jojoba oil to the scalp (or face for men with beards), the heavy wax particles in Jojoba oil will coat and protect new hair growth from breakage. It will also give each strand of hair a thicker look.
4. Absorbs Rapidly: Jojoba oil absorbs very rapidly which means it quickly delivers the nutrients it carries to the deep layers of your skin. It also (as a good carrier oil) will deliver any properties from essential oils you mix with it very quickly and effectively.
5. Can be used as a natural makeup remover: There is a lot of talk about the unnatural and harmful ingredients in makeup. We should also be aware of the harmful ingredients in the products used to remove makeup. For a natural solution, use Jojoba oil as you would any other makeup remover, washing and rinsing with water (Jojoba oil will not irritate your eyes either). Finish by using cotton disks to wipe away any remaining unwanted makeup.