We all know that there are many reasons to eat healthy, GMO free foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals. We constantly focus on the physical affects GMO’s have on the body (mostly external… as we all want to look our best). However, more attention needs to be given to the mental and cognitive reasons for living traditionally. One consideration, often ignored, is the affect harmful toxins and poor diets have on areas of the brain such at the Pineal Gland.
We don’t hear much about the Pineal gland. This is probably due in large part to the limited knowledge and understanding experts have on the gland itself. What we do know is it seems to regulate the production (or conversion) of serotonin to melatonin (a key hormone in the regulation of our sleep patterns). MRI images confirm that by age 17 roughly half of the population has at least some detectable level of calcification of the Pineal Gland. This leads to troubled sleeping patterns and a inability to enter or maintain REM sleep. Sleep deprivation in turn can lead to confusion, over-analysis, paranoia depression and anxiety.
Why the Pineal gland calcifies is unclear. The chemical composition of the calcium build up is calcium phosphate/carbonate and magnesium phosphate. As such it is believed that fluoride and other toxins readily in our water supply and processed foods, is a leading contributor. Some have suggested this is due to the Pineal glands lack of a blood brain barrier (as much of the brain has) which makes it more susceptible to toxins carried in our blood. Also suggested as a possible root cause of calcium buildup in the Pineal gland is lack of sun exposure.
Unfortunately it true, most of us suffer from (at least some) calcium build up in our Pineal gland. However, there are ways to prevent future build up and even reduce existing calcification…. Here’s how:
Prevent Further Calcification:
- Reduce Fluoride intake: Fluoride is in most public drinking water and processed foods. Reduce your fluoride exposure by drinking water that is purified of fluoride or installing a filter in your home that reduces fluoride.
- GMO foods only: Processed foods contain a lot of fluoride (in addition to other toxins) which can lead to further calcification. Non-GMO foods also contain pesticides that are very harmful to the body and are another possible contributor to Pineal gland calcification.
- Take off you sunglasses: Many suggest watching the sun rise and set to stimulate the Pineal gland. This is due to the presence of photo-receptors in the Pineal gland that are detectable during dissection of the gland. This suggests that the gland responds to light and dark (which makes sense due to its role in sleep regulation).
- Embrace the dark: Make your room as dark as possible at night while you sleep. Even lights as faint as that produced from an alarm clock can reduce melatonin creation.
- Remove fluorescent lights: fluorescent lighting is very unnatural and can affect your body’s ability to detect day from night, when to sleep and when not to sleep. Instead only install “full spectrum lights” in your home and work places.
Reduce Existing Calcification:
- Detoxify: Detoxify with agents such as Chlorella, MSM, iodine, borax and Ginseng and garlic (you can soak a garlic clove in fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to reduce the harshness of the garlic.
- Essential Oils: Inhaling essential oils such as Sandalwood, Oregano, Frankincense, Myrrh, Helichrysum and Pine will help to reduce calcification in your body and Pineal gland in particular. You can diffuse them or add a few drops to your shower or bath as you inhale the steam.