When people think about heart-healthy foods, pomegranates often don’t cross their minds. But pomegranate juice is one of the richest sources of potent antioxidant flavonoids that can benefit your heart in a huge way.
Both laboratory and clinical studies on pomegranate confirmed that the certain flavonoids in pomegranates exhibit the ability to slow the development of atherosclerotic disease (hardening of the arteries) in mice and humans. Arteries are crucial for your cardiovascular system. These are blood vessels that carry oxygen-rich blood to your entire body. Arteries ensure your organs and tissues have the oxygen and nutrients they require to function.
Recent clinical trials have showed that drinking just 2 ounces of pomegranate juice a day can lower high blood pressure, decrease plaques in your arteries, reducing your risk for heart disease.
A 2017 review in Pharmacological Research of eight clinical trials found that pomegranate juice reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure effectively.
Pomegranate Health Benefits
- Pomegranate has a potential to prevent damage to arterial walls, promote healthy blood pressure levels, improve blood flow to the heart, and reverse atherosclerosis.
- Pomegranate helps to lower after-meal blood sugar levels and protect from high blood pressure associated with type 2 diabetes.
- Pomegranate has been found to stop the progression of prostate cancer in men who had undergone surgery or radiation for the disease.
- A 2014 study done by the University of Albany showed how pomegranate extract can specifically inhibit the spread of MCF-7 breast cancer cells.
- Pomegranate fights inflammation. A 2013 in vivo study exhibited the juice’s remarkable anti-inflammatory activities in the gut.
You simply eat fresh pomegranates when they’re available, or you drinking pomegranate juice is probably the easiest way to incorporate this super food into your daily diet. You can also take this pomegranate extract – here
Additionally, Add Beats to Prevent Heart Disease and Lower Blood Pressure
Beets are high in nitrates which can significantly improve cardiovascular health. Studies found that beetroot juice supplementation can lower blood pressure and increase blood flow. It increases oxygen uptake, allowing people to stay active longer.
1. Xu S, Touyz RM. Reactive oxygen species and vascular remodelling in hypertension: still alive. Can J Cardiol. 2006 Sep;22(11):947-51.
2. Ignarro LJ, Byrns RE, Sumi D, de NF, Napoli C. Pomegranate juice protects nitric oxide against oxidative destruction and enhances the biological actions of nitric oxide. Nitric Oxide. 2006 Sep;15(2):93-102.
3. Ignarro LJ, Napoli C. Novel features of nitric oxide, endothelial nitric oxide synthase, and atherosclerosis. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2004 Jul;6(4):281-7.