We hear a lot about the dangers of environmental pollution. We hear about the air, oceans, rivers, forests, etc. We hear a lot about how man made chemicals are infecting the habitats of numerous creatures. However, the average human spends 80-90% of their time indoors. So why don’t we hear more about the dangers of indoor pollution, as this is the pollution we are most exposed to on a daily basis? So what is indoor pollution? These are the toxins we drag into our own environments from the outside.
These toxins include the chemicals we bring into our homes for cleaning. The average American home has between 3 -5 gallons of toxic chemicals ranging from glass cleaners to pesticides. One of the best ways we can clean up our own environment is to get rid of the toxic chemicals we use to clean (what a paradox).
One product you should know about, as you seek to replace conventional toxic products, is Soap Flakes. Soap Flakes are small, crystal like flakes of pure Castile soap concentrate. Castile soap is made from vegetable, coconut, or olive oil. It is the mildest of cleaners, 100% free of toxic perfumes, bleaches, dyes, GMO’s, phosphates and sodium lauryl sulphate. They are safe for people with sensitive skin, allergies, children and pets.
Soap Flakes can be hydrated to create your own household products including shampoo and laundry detergent. Soap flakes can also be combined with other natural cleaning products such as baking soda, borax and essential oils such as lemon and lavender.
Make you own liquid soap base:
- boil 1 liter of water
- Add 45g of soap flakes
- when the soap flakes have melted, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Ready! You can now use this as a base to make other house hold products such as:
- 1 liter liquid soap base
- 10-15 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 Liter of liquid soap base
- 10-15 drops of lavender essential oil
- when the water in the washing machine is full add 1 tablespoon of baking soda (for dirty clothes) and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar (to help make the laundry more soft)
- Mix 250g of soap flakes
- 3 tablespoons of Jojoba oil
- 10-15 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 6 tablespoons of hot water
- mix and add to a mold
- Let it rest for 2 days